Sunday, March 28, 2010

cook's kitchen: ode to soup

legume stew























spring may have sprung but that hasn't curbed my appetite for comfort food just yet. so let me share my new favourite way to stave off early spring chills: make your own soup mix (thanks to mitchell soups and my grandma for the inspiration).

ingredients: buy a whole bunch of beans and legumes and combine in a large mason jar or other airtight canister. my mix includes brown rice, three kinds of lentil, yellow & green split peas and about five or six kinds of bean. when you want soup combine a 1:3 ratio of beans and stock. to make delicious: add ham or sausage (unless you're vegetarian), carrots, celery, peas, corn, tomatoes you name it, and a generous dose of seasoning (pepper, salt, bay leaves & herbs de provence went into mine).

method: when i made my first batch i got the beans started overnight soaking in water. in the a.m. i discarded the water, added the stock, seasoning and pre-prepared veg & meat (which I had food processed together the night before) in a huge stock pot, and set it all to simmer on low on the stove all day when i was at work. I came home to delicious smells, adjusted the seasoning, and whipped up some biscuits to have with it (sample recipe here - no sugar in mine and i threw a little cheese on top to be extra tasty).

Having beans and stock on hand makes this an easy and healthy one-pot meal that can be thrown together at the last minute while cleaning out the fridge. yum yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment